The Cagayan State University (CSU) is the largest state institution of higher learning in the Cagayan Valley Region, in terms of enrollment and number of curricular program offerings. The University was established through Presidential Decree 1436, later amended by Republic Act8292 by the integration of all publicly supported higher education institutions in the province of Cagayan.
The university is composed of eight(8) campuses in the growth areas in the three congressional districts of Cagayan; the Aparri, Lal-Lo and Gonzaga campuses in the 1st District; the Piat, Lasam and Sanchez-Miracampuses in the 2nd District; and in the 3rd District, the Andrews and Carig campuses in Tuguegarao City. Each campus is headed by an Executive Officer (CEO) except in Andrews Campus where the University President concurrently acts as the CEO. The seat of governance of the university is at the Andrews Campus, where the central administration holds office.
The university offers courses in liberal arts, social sciences, law, medicine and allied professions, business and economics, natural sciences,engineering, technology, agriculture and fisheries and teaching, among others. It offers the most graduate and undergraduate courses of all the universities in the province of Cagayan.
In March 2012, Dr. Romeo R. Quilang, former President of the Isabela State University (ISU), was elected by the CSU Board of Regents to serve as the CSU System’s fourth president.
The novel seal of the Cagayan State University is an escutcheon in bordure of gules (Maroon). The shield is superimposed with a golden field, which is the map of Cagayan, its service area and the province most- dear to the institution. On top of the shield is the name of the institution, the CAGAYAN STATE UNIVERSITY.
Common charges are also emphasized depicting its being an educational institution: the book which is the source of knowledge, skills, values and the fountain of life and the torch indicative of the university being the source of light and human enlightenment in the whole province. The eight rays bearing from the flame represent the eight (8) strong and effervescent campuses of the university system.
Below the indomitable ornaments is the motto AD OPTIMUM EDUCANS, a Latin term which means Educating for the Best. The Roman numeral at the bottom of the shield is the year when the institution was granted the University title.
The University serves the INDIVIDUAL by providing the student with a nurturing environment for optimal human flourishing. It serves the COMMUNITY by offering programs responsive to individual and social needs.
College of Medicine
A project feasibility study for the establishment of a College of Medicine is prepared by Cagayan State University (CSU) and subsequently approved by the CSU Board of Regents.
Minister of National Defense Juan Ponce Enrile, Assemblyman Antonio Carag, Assemlyman Alfonso Reyno and Gov. Justiniano Cortes endorse the immediate implementation of the project to establish a College of Medicine at CSU to His Excellency President Ferdinand Marcos. Shortly thereafter, Pres. Marcos approves the establishment of the CSU College of Medicine in consortium with the Cagayan Valley Regional Hospital as its base hospital.
The implementation of the project was aborted by the EDSA Revolution. President Corazon Aquino issues a moratorium on the opening of medical schools.
Congressman Domingo Tuzon submits House Bill No. 28374 entitled “AN ACT ESTABLISHING A COLLEGE OF MEDICINE at the Cagayan State University, Tuguregarao, Cagayan.”
Hon Isidro Carino, Secrtetary of the Dept of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS) recommends approval of the bill subject to compliance with the provisions of DECS Order No. 119, s1990.
Rev. Fr. Ranhilio Aquino, Superindendent of the Catholic Schools strongly endorse to Sec. Carino the application for the opening of the CSU College of Medicine.
Hon. Franklin Drilon, Executive Secretary, under the authority of the President of the Republic of the Philippines approves the establishment of the CSU College of Medicine subject to compliance weit the provisions of DE CS Order No. 119, s1990.
Dr. Armando Crtes, CSU president submits to DECS details of compliance of CSU to the provisions of DECS Order No. 119, s199190.
The permit to operate duly signed by Hon. Armand fabella, DECS Secretary is granted
The College of Medicine and Surgery formally opens with Dr. Gilberto Gamez, a Cagayano, former Dean of the UST College of Medicine and renowned neurologist as its first Dean, with eight (8) faculty m embers and twenty one (21) first year students.
The Commission on Higher education (CHED), created under RA 7722. in 1994 grants authority to Cagayan State University to operate a College of Medicine with Government Permit No. 006 pursuant to the provisions of RA 2706 as amended and Education Act of 1982.
A team composed of representatives from the Association of Philippine Medical Colleges Foundation (APMCF), Department of Health and the CHED audit the College of Medicine. Their conclusion: “The College of Medicine and Surgery of CSU has the potential of a quality medical school.”
The first batch of medical graduates (eight students) are conferred the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
The CSU College of Medicine and Surgery posts 100% passing rate in the Physician Licensure Examinations.
The College of Medicine successfully hosted the 35th Annual Convention of the APMCF.
Dr. Roger P. Perez, President of CSU, vertically articulates the undergraduate and graduate school. Masters in Public Health is offered under the College of Medicine.
To contribute towards the attainment of improved health status among the people in Region 02.
To become a center of excellence in providing quality medical education.
1. To produce competitive physicians who will deliver primary health care in the region and the country.
2. To offer medical education that responds effectively to the health needs and problems of Region 02.
3. To provide qualified young men and women in region2 access to affordable quality medical education.
1. Doctor of Medicine (Traditional Curriculum)
2. Masters in Public Health
Doctor of Medicine Requirements for Admission
1. Must have finished a degree in AB* / BS**
* Additional Science subjects required
** Nursing, Pharmacy, Med tech, Resp. Therapy, Psychology, Biology, Zoology Chemistry
2. Must have taken the NMAT
3. Personal interview
Requirement for Application (local applicants)
1. Original transcript of records/ certified true copy of the last 31/2 years of AB/BS degree
2. Certified true copy of diploma/Certificate of candidacy for graduation
3. Four (4) copies of 2×2 passport size ID pictures
4. Two certified copies of Certificate of Live Birth from NSO
5. Certificate of good moral character from the College Dean
6. Certificate of class ranking
7. NBI Clearance
8. Results of NMAT
9. Receipt of application and processing fee paid at the University Cashier Office
Additional Requirements for Foreign Applicants
1. Certified true copy of Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) and Immigration Certificate of Residence
2. Notarized Affidavit of Support
3. Three (3) letters of recommendation from former professors/employers
4. Updated study permit issued by CHED
5. Results of TOEFL for foreign applicants whose native language is not English
1. MCAT scores (in lieu of CSU Entrance Examination) which must not have been taken 2 years prior to application
3. Three (3) letters of recommendation from former professors/employers
4. Notarized Affidavit of Support
5. Personal History Forms (to be secured from DECS or any Philippine Embassy)
Masters in Public Health
1. With Thesis: 39 units
2. Non-Thesis: 42 units
Masters in Public Health Requirements for Admission
1. Good scholastic record from any recognized institution of learning
2. Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent degree or title from a recognized institution of learning
3. At least 1 year work experience or previous training in the field of public health
4. Duly accomplished application Form together with the following documents:
o Original copy of the official transcript of records
o Certified true copy of College Diploma
o Birth Certificate
o Marriage Certificate
o Two (2) letters of reference from former professors or supervisors
1. BS and AB graduates with honors
2. Those willing to return service 0f 4 years in any 4th, 5th, 6th class municipality in the province of Cagayan